Black Page 51

Description of work

'Using Black Indian Ink because I wanted to make an image using chance, which for me can be equated with the marbled page found in T.S. My ink spot which I created by dropping ink from a brush held at height over the page, refers to an artwork I have previously produced: ' Full Stop (The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman) [2006]. For this work I photographed the final full stop from a first edition copy of TS, through a microscope and blew it up to an enormous scale. Laurence Sterne playfully used punctuation throughout TS, and the black ink visible in my photograph moves in unregulated form and density throughout the paper. In place of the clear, circular contours of the full stop, there is a stain, the product of chance and a disturbing factor within the traditional regulations of image and visibility. Similar to a Rorschach test, the enlarged inkblot gives space for free association. '